Medical Interpreter Training in Oregon – New Courses
On July 31, the Oregon Health Authority approved several new training providers for applicants for Medical Interpreting Certification in Oregon. As of August 21, 2013, these are the authorized training centers in Oregon:
• Cross Cultural Health Care Program – Bridging the Gap – training
• Cascade AHEC Spanish Healthcare Interpreter Training Program
• Gaucha Translations – The Community Interpreter – Medical
• Language Line Academy – Where Oregon Interpreters Train for Professional Careers
• Oregon Health Care Interpreters Association
• PCC CLIMB Health Care/Medical Interpreting
• Western Oregon University – Healthcare Interpreting Program
Now those who want to be certified will have more choices. Until about eight months ago, there were only two authorized training centers.
In Oregon, less than 60 medical interpreters have met the State requirements for certification.
When a doctor makes a medical diagnosis, at least 60% of the information he considers comes from his interview with the patient. If the largest source of information the doctor uses is not interpreted accurately and completely, the consequences can be serious.