Are you looking for support for your work as a translator or interpreter? Are you interested in getting to know other local colleagues in your field, finding or creating continuing education opportunities, or finding solutions to problems you may be experiencing in our profession? Could you use some new clients?
The Oregon Society of Translators and Interpreters is the new voice of linguists statewide, and we need you!
In January 2014, OSTI was recognized by the State of Oregon, the American Translators Association (ATA) and the International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA). We are building and we want you to be a part of our work in 2014!
Want to know more? See the OSTI FAQ below or visit our website at www.ostiweb.org.
Sincerely / Atentamente / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / С уважением / 你真诚的
The newly-elected OSTI Board of Directors
Where did we come from?
In 2013, a group of translators & interpreters got together to push for a raise for court interpreters, who had not seen a rate increase since at least 1995. Following that successful effort, we formed OSTI after observing that our state was in need of a professional society for interpreters & translators.
Who are we?
Our core group includes legal and technical translators, medical and court interpreters, folks with a lifetime of experience, and newbies as well.
What have we done so far?
• In 2013 we were instrumental in winning a rate increase for Oregon’s certified court interpreters
• We have elected a Board of Directors made up of five OSTI members
• We filed our Articles of Incorporation as a non-profit, and in January 2014 we were recognized by the State of Oregon
• We established a Membership Committee and are working to coordinate our Continuing Education efforts, but there is plenty of room for your participation! Tell us what types of projects interest you, and we will include you in discussions and development for OSTI’s committees.
• Additionally, we have launched a new website: www.ostiweb.org
OSTI’s mission is to represent and promote Oregon’s rich diversity of written, signed, and spoken language professionals to potential clients throughout our state. As a member of OSTI, you will build relationships not only with these clients, but also with your colleagues. Let’s talk, work, learn, and grow together!
• OSTI’s detailed, user-friendly online membership list is aimed at making it easy for potential clients to find YOU. Oregon has lacked a state-wide aggregated list of T&I professionals until now!
• OSTI has a members-only listserv for you to discuss issues related to the translation and interpreting industry. As a member, you can ask questions, make comments, support others, and participate in OSTI’s decision-making process.
• You can enjoy all the benefits of OSTI membership for just $55.00 per 12 months, with multi-year discounts available!
WEBSITE FEATURES AVAILABLE TO ALL:
OSTI also serves the community at large. We are committed to providing resources for professionals as well as users of translation and interpreting services.
• Certified and Qualified interpreters & translators can browse OSTI’s Continuing Education Resources webpage to find up-to-date information on maintaining their credentials.
• New interpreters & translators can use the online Links page to learn more about credentialing requirements and programs.